Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Project Life // My first 10 weeks {Part 1 of 4}

So my project life journey started about November of last year, 2013. I don't even know how I stumbled upon it, it might have been through some hashtag on Instagram, or whatever, but I instantly fell in love! I had to find out everything there was to know about Project Life and how could I get started ASAP! Now, I have then since completed and kept up with 10 weeks of spreads, and I wanted to share a bit of my journey and what I have learned.

In the beginning I was a little overwhelmed and over excited. Core kits? Mini kits? Digital? Embellishments? What tools did I need? Round corners? Square Corners? I figure, the only way for me to figure it out is to do it myself. So I decided I would start with the new year, 2014.

Cover/Title Page
For my cover page I kept things pretty simple. Most of the PL cards were from the Midnight Edition Core Kit. I took the backside of our Christmas card and cut it to fit into the two 3x4's side by side. I used an Instax from New Years and some wood grain sequins from the Double Scoop Studio Calico kit and wood veneer numbers I found at Michaels to make the "2014" card. I'll talk more about Studio Calico kits in another blog post.

Week 1 Spread
My week 1 spread had a lot of gold in it, LOL. I re-discovered heat/wet embossing and I loved how the gold embossing powder looked so I went a little crazy with it, haha. I was also playing with cut files with my Silhouette Portrait that I got myself for my birthday from their Black Friday sale. I used a variety of PL cards and embellishments from the Blue Note and Cuppa Studio Calico kits and also some prompts from their Day by Day class. Also used various stamps/PL cards and things from my stash. My favorite part about this spread is the picture of Bren chewing on something with the card "I can't do this but I'm doing it anyway" right next to him.

Week 1 // Left Side

Week 1 // Right Side

Week 2 Spread

This still took awhile for me to do, I think the hardest part for me is choosing what cards to use after my photos are printed. I used one of the techniques from the Day by Day class to make a photo flip up, also a Jan. Photo Prompt. Also played around with a digital stamp brush. My favorite part about this spread is the 4x6 card with the 3 pictures of Bren cheesin it and showing off his first tooth.

Week 2 // Left Side

Week 2 // Right Side

Week 3 Spread
For Week 3 I mainly used PL cards and embellishments Copper Mountain Studio Calico kit. It was getting a bit easier now, but it was still quite the process. This time I experimented a bit more with stamping. I also printed out digital files on different mediums (vellum, transparencies). My favorite part from this spread is the 3x4 of my mom and Bren playing on the couch.

Week 3 // Left Side

Week 3 // Right Side
So the first 3 weeks, it was really more about seeing how project life worked for me, and exploring different techniques and options. I still haven't found my groove yet, but I was starting to get the process.

Stay tuned for part 2 of this journey!

Big Hug,
Jez

No comments:

Post a Comment