Tuesday, April 22, 2014

DIY // Shaker Cards

Included in a pen pal booklet I did, I made a shaker card. Today, I'll show you my process in how I make them!

Materials needed: project life sheet protectors (I used the sheet protectors from the mini albums), fillers (sequins, confetti, small wood veneer pieces or chip board), scissors/trimmer, and a sewing machine.



First, take the sheet protector and trim them down. Whats nice about this is that you know that if you sew inside the original lines, these shaker cards will fit perfectly in any project life sheet protectors.



Then, you fill the shaker card with whatever you please, but try not to make it too bulky. Here I used a combination of sequins, and wood veneer stars, all from Studio Calico. Making confetti out of left over scraps is also perfect for this. Also threw in a tag with a quote on one side and a stamped image on the other.



Last part is sewing inside the original sheet protector lines on all four sides. (or just on the sides that are open)



And this is a bonus step - if you want to add any glitter, before you sew your last side closed, you can add a little (or a lot ;) lol)



No sewing machine, you say? No problem! This is easily remedied a couple of ways.

One way to have a no-sew pocket is to use washi tape to seal the ends. Another way to have a no-sew pocket is to use paper scraps, fold them over the edges, and either use a glue runner or a mini attacher/stapler to seal the shaker card closed.



And that's it! What's fun about shaker cards is that you can get really creative with the filling, and its a great way to use scraps and confetti made from hole punches! You can also find other ways to create a no-sew shaker card here, on the Studio Calico blog.



*note: I am not a design member or endorsed by Studio Calico, I just really love their products, and I always get ideas from their blog and community, so I'm just giving credit where credit is due, haha. ;)

1 comment: