Friday, February 1, 2013

Welcome! Won't you have some bread pudding?

Welcome to my blog! I'm pretty excited about this, something I've never done before. For my first post I wanted to share a recipe with you!

I've been experimenting with bread pudding lately, especially with a smaller portion, since sometimes when I make a big pan of bread pudding, it doesn't get finished (I know, crazy right?)

Please forgive my newbie food photography staging. This is gonna be a process. Join me on this journey, won't you?

Now onto that good good stuff...

Image

I have made a basic recipe you can tweak and add to, and is perfect for 3 ramekins! (I got these ramekins from Target, they were on sale for .98 cents each. Ugh, I love and hate Target. Target is a black hole of time and money. But that's another topic for another time.)

Banana and Brown Sugar Bread Pudding for Three

Prep Time: 30 Mins | Bake Time: 45 Mins | Serving Size: 3

Ingredients:

2 Eggs

3/4 cup milk or heavy cream (I've tried it with both, both versions still came out derricious)

Dash of Salt

2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar

2 Tablespoons Sugar

¼ teaspoon Cinnamon

½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract (I used ½ teaspoon Vanilla Bean Paste)

1 Croissant (or 1 cup of bread - stale is good)

Optional: A mix-in. Some ideas - chocolate chips, mashed bananas, or blueberries

Brown Sugar Butter Oat Topping:

2 Tablespoons Flour

2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar

1/2 Stick Unsalted Butter

Directions:

1) Combine eggs, milk, salt, brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla in a bowl and mix well.

2) Cube or tear apart the bread and incorporate it well into the wet mixture.

3) Cover the bowl with saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes, occasionally stirring the mixture to make sure the bread is evenly absorbing the wet ingredients. The longer you let the bread soak, the more creamier the bread pudding will turn out.

4) While the mixture is being refrigerated, make the topping. Melt 1/2 a stick of unsalted butter, then mix in the 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of old fashioned Quaker oats.

5) Before you take out the mixture from the fridge, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease or butter the ramekins. And for ease of taking them in and out of the oven, I placed the ramekins in a baking pan.

6) This is where you can get a bit creative. Add what you want (blueberries, mashed bananas, chocolate chips, you get the idea) and fold it into the bread mixture until it’s well incorporated. Or you can keep it simple. You'll figure it out. Then divide the mixture evenly into the ramekins.

7) Generously spoon some of brown sugar oat mixture on top of the bread mixture and bake these in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean and top is nicely browned.

8) Let cool for 5-10 minutes and enjoy.

  • Can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days past baking.
  • Can also be enjoyed with maple syrup, whip cream, or ice cream. Go ahead. Go crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment